[MD] on the radio

ian glendinning psybertron at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 02:56:06 PST 2006

Hi DMB,

If most of that sentence was clear as a summary of MoQ, then I'm
puzzled why you didn't just identify the key points that needed
clarifying in the first place. You seem to be using this thread to
take a pop at me, using pejorative terms like "drivel", "narcissism"
and "smoke screen" but I think we've narrowed down the specific points
- we got there.

(1) "Hitching the MOQ to all that quantum talk" ?
Are you saying you are sceptical there is any relevance / connection
of QM to MoQ ? All I can say is that I do, and that Pirsig did in his
SODV paper, And Ant clearly does too, in making the David Barrow
references. Saying any more, we might be better to hitch a ride on the
current Quantum Physics thread.

(2) How do I get from "dependent arising" to emergence and "recursive
interplay" ?
I understand dependent arising the same way you do it seems, where you
said "nothing has an independent existence, that all things exist only
in relation to other things, that no thing has an inherent or
essential being". What I'm exploring, and bringing in many metaphors
from other people, is the nature of "in relation to".

Firstly, remember the intial caveat ... I was just brain-storming some
ideas, executing a "brain dump" of related issues, until the stream of
consciousness subsided. You call it a smoke screen, I call it seizing
the moment to "catch those thoughts" at David M's invitation -
narcissism you called it. Secondly, remember also that I prefer
dynamic dialogue, to seemingly "clear definitions" of terms, which
tend to be illusory. (Wittgtenstein tells us - roughly - all
philosophy is language and all language is word-games.) That said,
let's see how far we can develop those ideas in just a few minutes
e-mail (remembering also that I have yards of other thoughts on this
stuff written and referred to elsewhere). OK, so ...

"In relation to"

The relationship is dynamic - no brainer surely - basic MoQ.

The relationship is "two-way" or directionless if you prefer - not
only are the objects either end of this relationship subordinate to
the relationship itself, but neither end (object or subject) has any
"precedence" over the other.

The relationship is characterised by Pirsig as "quality" itself - a
"valuing" relationship, but is ultimately "ineffable". In some sense
it is a "creative" relationship, nothing really exists without it,
reality arises out of it. Ineffable or not (remember I'm not a
metaphysician) I'm suggesting many metaphors used in sciences that
explore complex causal relationships exhibit parallels that may be
worth our understanding.

At that point I'll stop, because I'll be repeating myself, essentially
listing all those examples again ... If you agree that exploring those
parallel's is valuable, we can pick up on them, and take it from
there; if you don't there will be little point.

Regards, stuckly,
Ian