[MD] Free Speech

pholden at davtv.com pholden at davtv.com
Sat Dec 2 12:54:29 PST 2006

Quoting ARLO J BENSINGER JR <ajb102 at psu.edu>:

> Two other "free speech" issues? One being championed by the Maine Civil
> Liberties Union, the other banning a Denver resident from displaying a peace
> sign...
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/12/02/santa.beer.ap/index.html
> http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/11/27/national/main2209402.shtml
>
> I hope the conservative outcry over these are loud!

And I hope the liberal outcry of this is louder:

LOS ANGELES -- Black leaders on Monday challenged the entertainment industry,
including rappers, to stop use of the racial slur that Michael Richards uttered in
his tirade. The Rev. Jesse Jackson and others said they will meet with TV networks,
film companies and musicians to discuss the "n-word." "We want to give our ancestors
a present," Jackson said. "Dignity over degradation." Asked about free-speech issues,
Jackson said the word is "unprotected."

--Chicago Sun-Times 11/28/06