[MD] Quantum Physics

Dan Glover daneglover at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 3 13:59:44 PST 2006

Hello everyone

Robert Pirsig from LILA'S CHILD:

I see today more clearly than when I wrote the SODV
paper that the key to integrating the MOQ with science is
through philosophic idealism, which says that objects grow
out of ideas, not the other way around. Since at the most
primary level the observed and the observer are both
intellectual assumptions, the paradoxes of quantum theory
have to be conflicts of intellectual assumption, not just
conflicts of what is observed. Except in the case of
Dynamic Quality, what is observed always involves an
interaction with ideas that have been previously assumed.
So the problem is not, “How can observed nature be so
screwy?” but can also be, “What is wrong with our most
primitive assumptions that our set of ideas called ‘nature’
are turning out to be this screwy?” Getting back to physics,
this question becomes, “Why should we assume that the
slit experiment should perform differently than it does?” I
think that if researched it would be found that buried in the
data of the slit experiment is an assumption that light exists
and follows consistent laws independently of any human
experience. If so, the MOQ would say that although in the
past this seems to have been the highest quality assumption
one can make about light, there may be a higher quality
one that contradicts it. This is pretty much what the
physicists are saying but the MOQ provides a sound
metaphysical structure within which they can say it. (P 311)

Dan comments:
In the first sentence, RMP seems to be disavowing any supposed link between
quantum theory and the Metaphysics of Quality. In the second sentence he
answers all the questions that have arisen in this thread. In the third
sentence he is eliminating any possible knowledge of Dyanmic Quality in
static quality terms. Finally, Mr. Pirsig fixtures this whole problem as an
assumption based on subject-object thinking that the reality quantum theory
seeks to reveal is really "out there" existing independently of the
observer.

Thoughts?

Dan