[MD] U.S. Values: the Jones

craigerb at comcast.net craigerb at comcast.net
Sun Dec 3 23:26:41 PST 2006

[Arlo]
> Then why was the beer can shim, something high in use-value, low in
> exchange-value?

No mystery here.  If I can use a shim to repair my motorcyle, I will value more (& pay more for) an empty beer can than an empty glass jar or plastic bottle.  But that is not the only market force at work.  There is also the Law of Supply & Demand.  There are millions of empty beer cans each day (especially on Fri. & Sat. nights), but comparably little demand for shims.  Any economic system that tries to force a high price on empty beer cans, will only succeed in moving frat boys with their empty beer cans into the black market.
Craig