[MD] Kant's Motorcycle

Case Case at iSpots.com
Mon Dec 4 09:25:10 PST 2006

[SA]
Sure, based on experience, if that's what you mean by observable.

[Case]
The entire discipline of behavioral psychology is based on the reinforcement
theory. This holds that reinforcement of a response is that which increases
the probability of the response occurring. I guess I like it because is
about probability and the evolution of behavior. Reinforcers are generally
"pleasurable". They satisfy basic biological needs, food sex shelter...

[SA}
Yet, could you please explain what you mean by "...drives our culture today
is the cynical and purposeful manipulation of pleasure and pain."

[Case]
Advertising seeks to pair reinforcers that satisfy basic drives with trivial
crap. Like sex and cigarettes, sex and hamburgers, sex and... well sex
sells.