[MD] Kant's Motorcycle

Case Case at iSpots.com
Tue Dec 5 09:07:06 PST 2006

Micah,

No.

Kant is not denying the senses. He is pointing out what they are. I can see
an apple. I can taste it, smell it, touch it. I can thump it and hear its
vibration. I can biochemically analyze it. But the apple is still not my
sensations of it. Kant is getting at the process we use to sense and turn
sensation into perception. He is talking about how we classify the apple as
an object in space and time. How we relate the apple to other objects we
encounter. This organizational process is perception. Sense data are not
being denied they are being examined. TITs are distinct from our senses. Our
senses are distinct from our perceptions. Just to be clear here: lights
waves of a particular frequency hit our retinas we call them "red". Redness
is not a quality of sensation or of apples. It is a quality of our
classification of sensation.

Are you in the camp that denies the existence of apple TITs? You think that
our perceptual classification of apples is all there is?

Kant's theology is not at issue here but he does not strike me as a mystic.
In any event he is not denying the senses on the contrary he is examining
the senses to determine their role in perception and the creation of
knowledge.

Case

Case,

The "Noumenal" is an unknowable reality according to Kant. Yet he knows of
it, how is that? The obvious point is that he is using his senses to deny
his senses. Kant's stance is the mystical. A mystic creates an unknowable
alternative reality in order to deny reality, it's usually called religion.
Kant was trying to rationalize mysticism.

How can we know TITS exist, if they're unknowable?

You seem to think Kant was is some middle ground, when he was merely trying
to make rationality mystical.

A rock isn't really a rock, that's just our perception, it is really
unknowable! That's cute! It's TITS! More cute!

A rock is a rock, A is A. Existence exists. Reality is reality.

Kant says reality is not reality.

I understand senses, perceptions and Kant...and so do you.

Micah