[MD] Kant's Motorcycle

Case Case at iSpots.com
Tue Dec 5 10:06:03 PST 2006

 [Ham]:
There are no "literal" things -- hence, no "things-in-themselves" [TITs] --
apart from our intellection of them.  The "stuff" of reality is Essence
which cannot be broken down into parts because it is absolute.

[Case]
If we can not have TITs why can we have Essence? I would prefer TITs any day
but why would Essense be preferable. How can you say whatever it is
"absolute" if you can't say anything about it? Why can't it be broken into
parts. Who made this rule?

[Ham}
Neither the finite mind nor quantum physics is capable of differentiating
absolute Essence.  What we explore as observers and scientists is the
structure and form of experienced reality -- the objective world as
intellectualized by the subject.

[Case]
We attempt to construct models of TITs and discover the rules or conditions
that result in the objects of perception behaving as they do. As we refine
our powers of observation and our understanding of the rules we gain
successive approximations of what TITs are "really" like. While our internal
models may not be exact they do not need to be. We can not precisely specify
the value of an irrational number but if we care enough we can specify it as
much as we want and round off the difference. Pi has been specified to 50
billion digits. We can keep going if we like until the end of time.

[Ham]
The metaphysical ground of this world is not "matter" but sensible awareness
divided by Nothingness.  In the self/other dichotomy, "self" is aware of
"other" as relative Value and objectivizes it as beingness, i.e., the
experience of finite phenomena with a range of qualitative and quantitative
properties. (In MoQ terms, the "patterning" of existence is performed by the
individual.)  The qualitative values become the content of individual
awareness [PA], while the quantitative properties are universally
experienced and are the basis for what we call empirical knowledge.  Both
activities result in making being aware of Value.

[Case]
This is just Hamish jibber jabber. Awareness is a property of a biological
system. Much of the universe has no biological systems in it and does not
classify anything. A metaphysical foundation that requires a biological
system is no metaphysical foundation at all. You want to define the
indefinable as though reality has to play by your rules. Our task as beings
is to figure out the rules, to find relationships that exist and attempt to
understand them. You want to just make them up out of thin air or
Nothingness. Absolute? Get serious!