[MD] The MOQ's First Principle

Arlo Bensinger ajb102 at psu.edu
Tue Dec 5 13:00:13 PST 2006

[Arlo had said]
No matter. What I find "at fault" in Platt's first principle is the
elevation of DQ as "good" and the implication that SQ is "bad".

[Marsha]
There was no use of 'good' or 'bad'.

[Arlo]
Hence the use of the word "implication".

[Marsha]
DQ might degenerate into chaos in the total absence of SQ, but Platt did
not say 'total absence'.

[Arlo]
Nor does he say some is required. He says DQ "flourishes" when free of
"static dictates". Not "when partially free". Not "when eased of". "Free".
Can you explain to me what in Platt's statement would lead not one to
suppose that a complete removal of "static dictates" would lead to the most
"flourishing"?

[Marsha]
This is not my experience.  This sounds, to me, very boring.  This clump of
static qualities likes to fly!!!

[Arlo]
That you enjoy jumping forward more than you like putting your feet down
hardly negates that if you did not put your feet down your life would be
unpatterned chaos. While this may sound like "fun", I doubt you really want
that. I mean, if you did you'd be out in the woods living a completely
Dynamic, moment-to-moment life. And I'm not talking Xena Warrior Princess
either, since she  was part of a social pattern network. I mean feral-child
Marsha, no language, no words, no "static" patterns, just moment-to-moment
DQ. Yes, you may like to fly, Marsha, but the fact that you are here belies
your balance.

[Marsha]
There is a need for both, to sustain SQ and flight from it.  Balance might
be good for some, but not good for others.

[Arlo]
These two statements contradict. Yes, there is a need for both, and that is
what balance is.