[MD] The MOQ's First Principle

ARLO J BENSINGER JR ajb102 at psu.edu
Thu Dec 7 08:16:07 PST 2006

[Case]
I would like to suggest once again that the shape of the MoQ is fractal. It is
infinite complexity of form and shape across scale. It is the tension between
flying off to infinity and annihilation.

[Arlo]
I have no problem accepting a fractal metaphor for the MOQ. I like the idea that
"pattern focus" can bring shapes into focus (on one level), but as one gets
closer one finds that the "pattern" emerges from the interplay of parts, each
themselves capable of being brought into focus. The only thing I am unsure of
is how to frame (in this metaphor) the emergent "leaps" when a level of
complexity ceases to be just an increase in complexity and becomes a whole new
thing.