[MD] The MOQ's First Principle

Case Case at iSpots.com
Thu Dec 7 12:06:36 PST 2006

[Dan]

I read of a tragedy out west in Oregon where a man and his family became
snowbound when they took a wrong turn. After statically waiting over a week
and with supplies running low, the man apparently decided to Dynamically
seek help by setting off on foot. A couple days later his family was rescued

and it took searchers a few more days to locate the man's body.

Let's examine this using the first principle as you suggest: freedom. Now,
it's clear the man was acting in a moral manner...he wanted nothing more
than to save his family. And it seems pretty clear that he was acting in a
more Dynamic manner by actively seeking help rather than passively waiting
for it to arrive.

Using the first principle, where did he go wrong?

[Case]
Perhaps the problem is he did everything right. When confronted with a
chaotic universe there any number of strategies one could adopt. Reason is
one of those strategies. Statistically and historically it is the one that
proven most successful for humans. It has carried us far but the truth is it
doesn't always work. If this man had relied on faith and had sat praying
with his family he would be alive today. Both faith and reason are
strategies for confronting uncertainty. But neither banishes uncertainty. It
is ever present.

Many years ago in the area I live, a tornado was approaching a trailer park.
One of the residents and her husband left their trailer and sought shelter
in a block building. The tornado blew away the block building and she was
killed. Her trailer was untouched.

Reason is a way of hedging our bets. I believe it to be the best way. If I
were that man or that woman I would do what the each of them did, even
today, even knowing how it turned out badly for them. When push comes to
shove it all comes down to where you put your faith.