[MD] Kant's Motorcycle

david buchanan dmbuchanan at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 8 10:57:10 PST 2006

Case said to Laramie:
I have listened to several of Wilbur's books or lectures on tape. I think he
is a wacko. Color coded stages of enlightenment, multidimentional maps of
lines and levels... puuulezzzz.

dmb says:
Wacko? He is the most widely translated philosopher in the english language.
One can get a Ph.D. from Ivy League schools on his work. There are hundreds
in the U.S. and Canada already. I'm not saying he's above criticism or that
his ideas are entirely mainstream but "wacko" is just not an accurate way to
characterize his work. As far as such things can be "proven", his work is
already shown itself to be academically viable. If it weren't for that fact
I might agree with you. I mean, anybody who uses maps or charts has to be
totally insane. You should check out Wilber's work on serial killers and
their apparent fascination with colored pie charts, for example.

Case said:
I liked his borrowing of holons and enjoyed his review of Piaget but all
this talk of higher levels of transcendental consciousness is just silly. We
are not evolving TOWARD anything. We ARE consciousness. ...

dmb says:
Hmmm. If we are consciousness and we are evolving, then why should
transcendental consciousness strike you as silly? I think you might be
objecting to the mystical modes of consciousness, but as I read it he is
only talking about the evolution or rather development of consciousness.
He's only saying that there are stages of development so that we transcend
old modes of consciousness. He's only saying that the transition from
childhood to adulthood is one of many such transitions, if you're doing it
right anyway. And I don't think he says we're evolving TOWARD anything in
particular. Like Pirsig, he's only saying that evolution, in general, moves
in a direction. There is no teleology per se, but a general movement toward
betterness gives it a direction from within, so to speak. Anyway, I don't
think its one bit silly.

Thanks,
dmb

P.S. I read the post in which you confess your fondness for Kantian TITs.
Just wanted to say that I appreciate your points. They were firm and well
supported. But the idea of TITs asks us to suppose a gap, a cleavage if you
will, between the TITs and ourselves. You see, TITs are extremely comforting
when viewed from inside a SOM framework where they save us from solipsism.
But this only sets up a situation where we end up having to settle for fake
TITs and are forever cut off from the real thing, from the very TITs we
found so warm and soft and comforting in the first place. Radical Empiricism
says there is no cleavage, there is no gap between us and TITS. There are no
TITs behind experience. Things are secondary, they are derived from
experience. TITs don't cause experience, experience causes them, so to
speak. TITs, by definition, are always outside of your experience. That is
just way too sad to bare. TiTs are lovely. Men have held them as truth for
hundreds of years. And nobody ever said Kant was a fool for holding his
position on TITs. But Pirsig is saying that reality is entirely pervious,
much more pervious than TITs and the cleavage that goes with them. But
still, you had a couple of really nice points there.