[MD] Chaos

Case Case at iSpots.com
Tue Dec 12 06:41:09 PST 2006

Chin,

I do not have as much time as I would like to analyze the Sneddon Thesis but
from what I have read so far he is presenting an alternative to the mystical
view widely held in this forum. I have tried many times to present similar
notions although I was and still am very unfamiliar with Whitehead. I like
the fact the Sneddon has Chaos front and center in his introduction. In his
description of Prigogine's thinking he summarizes with the quote below. It
is a very succinct description of Chaos. Ham would do well to paste it on
his refrigerator.

"The world is made up of systems which are in contact with their
environments. These systems exchange energy with the environment. A stable
system--one that is not suffering dramatic change- - is said to be at
equilibrium. Once upon a time, it was thought that equilibrium was the rule
and disorder the exception. Prigogine thinks the reverse is true, and shows
how change actually produces order.

A system that is disrupted from its history of order--due, perhaps, to some
change in the environment--moves from equilibrium to a state 'far from
equilibrium. Equilibrium functions as an attractor state, meaning systems
move from one state of equilibrium to another--systems far from equilibrium
are caught up in the process of the change. At a far from equilibrium
position, a system is at a 'bifurcation' point--its future cannot be
predicted from what is known about its history. It can jump to a new, higher
(become more complex, and requiring more energy) state of equilibrium, or it
can drop to a condition of less order, and hence less complex. In other
words, the choice for the system is one between order and chaos."
-Sneddon, 1995

I wonder if this applies to the quantum issue of electrons seeming to jump
from shell to shell without apparently existing at all in the intervening
space.

Case