[MD] Kant's Motorcycle

LARAMIE LOEWEN jeffersonrank1 at msn.com
Wed Dec 13 14:11:37 PST 2006

Hi Ham,

>>You said (to Joe):
>>Aristotle held that you can't want something until you know
>>what it is, so truth-abstraction is superior to good-will.
>>
>>I think Aristotle was right.  In order to feel something, you
>>have to be able to ~see~ it.  Cognition determines the ~form~
>>of enlightenment.  Just thought I'd throw that out there.
>
>I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make here.  If it's that the
>"form" must be (re)cognized in order to feel something, I would be to
>differ with you (and Aristotle).
>
>I think the point you were addressing was the Kantian epistemology outlined
>by Joe:
>>Kant resolved the dualism by claiming that while we do
>>have senses we format their input.  This act of formatting
>>or perception is how we construct reality.  He claims on
>>the one hand that all we can really know about is what
>>we can format but that something unknowable is being
>>formatted.
>
>Socrates said:  "... the man who desires something desires what is not
>available to him, and what he doesn't already have in his possession; and
>what he neither has nor himself is - that which he lacks - this is what he
>wants and desires."
>
>Desire doesn't presuppose a cognizant form; it only infers a "lack of
>something."  I think Socrates' definition of desire relates to ones sense
>of Value, which is pre-intellectual.  In the temporal mode of human
>awareness, the value "of enlightenment" precedes the intellectual form --
>the "object" that represents our experience of this value.
>
>Again, I see the value filling the void of PA as the precursor to objective
>cognizance.  Am I off the track here, or have I misconstrued you comment?

All I am getting at is that life (or Value, if you prefer) presents a constant challenge
and the way I respond is determined by the complexity of my understanding.  It
is really only through asking new questions and seeking greater insight into existing
problems that evolution unfolds and the Self is able to create and respond with greater
depth.  The more I see, the more I am able to feel - thus, truth/abstraction is
superior to good/will.  Everything boils down to power of projection.

-Laramie