[MD] Sneddon Thesis

PhaedrusWolff at carolina.rr.com PhaedrusWolff at carolina.rr.com
Thu Dec 14 15:47:58 PST 2006

Hi All,

A different view of Whitehead you might find interesting.

       Alfred North Whitehead occupies a place in the history of
Western philosophy which makes his importance comparable only with
that of the great masters - Plato, Kant and Hegel, who gave to mankind
monumental systems of thought. Whitehead conceives the universe as an
organism, a process, to understand which our notions of things,
entities, substances, and of place and time have to be completely
overhauled and transformed. We are generally accustomed to think that
material bodies are located at particular points of space and instants
in time, and that no other body can occupy those points of space at
that time. This idea of what Whitehead calls 'simple location', which
falsely tries to explain things without reference to other regions of
space and time, is bound up with the common belief that causation is
the production of an effect by a cause which precedes it in time.
Whitehead's criticism is that a causal relation between two things is
incompatible with their simple l
ocation, for two things which are separate from each other cannot bear
a causally binding relation between themselves. Causation as it is
ordinarily understood implies that a knowledge of the cause should
give us the knowledge of all its effects. This is impossible if we
persist in believing that things and events are separated from one
another. If the simple location of events is a fact, even inference
would give us no knowledge of the inferred events, for inference
requires that the events from which we infer others should have
an 'inherent reference' to the inferred events in order that they may
give us knowledge of these latter; but such a reference is absent
between events that are really different from each other. Memory of
the past, too, would not be possible if all events are utterly cut off
from one another in space and time. Our experiences oblige us to give
up the belief in the simple location of things and events. There do
not exist disconnected bodies or events a
t different points of space or moments in time.

       If, then, events are not separated from one another, how can we
distinguish between a cause and its effect, between the events from
which we infer and those which we infer? Whitehead's answer is: By
admitting a process that lies between all things, a process in which
things themselves become parts of the process, a continuous flow of
events, which takes us to the conception of the universe as an
organism, a system in which every part influences every other part,
every event is pervaded and interpenetrated by every other event. It
is impossible to find anywhere in the universe isolated objects
existing by themselves statically in space and time.

       The theory of organism provides a solution to the problem of
the relation between mind and matter. We are wont to think that mind
and matter are two distinct facts of experience influencing each other
in some way. But how can any mutual interference be possible if they
are separated from each other? The problem can be solved only if mind
and matter interact by a relation of process. Nature flows into the
mind and flows out transformed by it into the objects of perception.
Here, neither of the two is more real than the other. The perceiver
and the perceived form one continuous process. There are no subjects
and objects differentiated from one another. The perceived universe is
a view of itself from the standpoint of its parts that are modified by
the activity of its whole being. There is a continuity of process
between mind and matter.

        The relation of substance and its qualities, too, as it is
generally understood, presents great difficulties. We cannot say how
qualities inhere in a substance; we do not know whether they are
different or identical. The usually accepted view is that substances
are featureless things possessing only primary qualities, to which the
secondary qualities are imparted by the knowing mind. Then there
remains nothing in Nature except motion, which appears as light when
it impinges on the retina and as sound when it strikes the ear-drum.
The world, says classical physics, consists of mere electrical
charges, having no colour, no sound, no beauty, no good, no value,
nothing that we call a world. The world is in our minds. What is real
is electrical force, mathematical point-events, symbols and formulae.
And what of aesthetic, ethical and religious values? Science has no
such things as these. We also know how Locke's distinction of the
primary qualities from the secondary ones
 led to the astonishing conclusions arrived at by Berkeley and Hume.
Whitehead points out that classical science discovers a featureless
universe because of the notion of simple location of things. It
committed the mistake of abstracting things and events from their
relation to others, and substances from the qualities which
characterise them. The remedy is the acceptance of a universe of
organic relations, where all facts, meanings and values are conserved
without contradicting sense, reason and experience, and in which all
spatial otherness and temporal distinction is overcome in a system of
universal mutual reference of things and events. Space, time and
events are organically related to each other; nothing can ever exist
as isolated from other existences.

       Whitehead learns from Hegel that all things and events are
internally related and that to abstract them from their environment or
their context in the whole would be to misrepresent them totally and
to conceive them as what they are not. Matter is a group of agitations
of force which extends its body to the entire universe and constitutes
its stuff. The configurations of this force are called bodies or
events and their existence and nature determine everything. Things are
without limits or boundaries, they really exist everywhere, at every
time, in every way. We cannot pluck a leaf from the tree and know what
it is to the tree, or cut a part of the human body and know how it
works as its organ. The bifurcation of an event from other events, of
substance from its attributes, of cause from its effect, of mind from
body, of things from the rest of the universe is a deathblow given to
all right knowledge. Whitehead propounds a philosophy based on the
scientific theory of
relativity. The result is the novel concept of the organism.

       Whitehead's universe as an organism is governed by the law of
internal relations. All things are all other things in every
condition, and the relations themselves are not independent of the
things. Now, we have to give up the habit of using the
words 'thing', 'entity', etc. while studying Whitehead, for he has
pointed out that our ideas of thinghood are bound up with our notions
of simple location involving what he calls the 'fallacy of misplaced
concreteness'. What we call a thing is for him a set of agitations of
force, a group of activity or energy, a configuration of process or
motion, and he calls such a bit of process an 'actual occasion'. We
shall, however, for the sake of convenience, apply this term to things
in general or objects of our experience. Sometimes, Whitehead calls
these actual occasions 'drops of experience'. These names given to the
material of the objects of common perception are to bring out that
they are not isolated entities but currents of t
eleological process, continuous with all things in the universe. No
part of the process can be abstracted from the others and studied
correctly. Every actual occasion involves every other, and to know any
one is to know the whole universe. Actual occasions are spatio-
temporal aspects of process, a nexus of which we call an object. An
object is nothing but a continuous process of actual occasions as we
experience them in their externalised condition. There is no fixed
object anywhere. An event is a series of actual occasions revealed in
perception as demonstrated in a molecule for a few moments. Objects
are more complex formulations of such events. The objectness of an
object is in its capacity to be experienced in perception.

       Every actual occasion is sensitive to the existence of others,
and thus to the entire universe. All actual occasions take account of
each other, and in some way, subtler than even sense-
perception, 'perceive' each other. There is a kind of
pervasive 'feeling' of every actual occasion for the others in the
universe. Whitehead uses the word 'feeling' in quite a different sense
from the one in which we are used to understand it, and makes it more
fundamental than the conscious level of the mind in waking life. This
feeling is a natural sympathy which the actual occasions have for the
whole, a general connectedness and unity of the universe which they
reveal in themselves by the very fact of their constitution. This
rudimentary feeling or experience is, to Whitehead, of the nature of
unconscious 'prehension' or taking into relation of the other actual
occasions, a grasping of the characteristics of every aspect of the
universe. The prehensions may be positive absorbings o
r negative rejections of aspects. The actual occasions are thus
related both in physical and mental life; the two are not features of
distinct orders of being. The process is feeling and reality, and the
energy of physics is but what we feel within ourselves as minds, a
feeling in our own constitutions as actual occasions for the
indivisible process which is the universe. Every actual occasion
represents and feels a situation of the entire process, and its very
existence is due to the contribution of the rest of the actual
occasions; it is produced by the whole universe by way of integration
of characters, which Whitehead calls the process of 'concrescence'. An
actual occasion is called more precisely a 'prehensive occasion', for
it has no existence independent of its prehensions.

If you would like to read more, click continue;
http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/com/com_whit.html

I must prewarn, it does mention the God word, but doesn’t appear to be
a God which sits up on a cloud moving the chess pieces of life.

Chin