[MD] Food for Thought

Heather Perella spiritualadirondack at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 15 18:27:25 PST 2006

      [Arlo]
Another "problem" for me is noticing that the
intellectual level seems
to inform the social level in a way not evidenced (at
least not as dramatically) between the other levels.
The social level does not inform the biological level
(it controls it, to be sure, but social patterns don't
alter biological patterns, cities don't change DNA).
But our social patterns are now controlled and changed
and manipulated by intellectual patterns.

-------------

     Would not social patterns that do alter
biological patterns find an example in which this
culture is highly obese?  What are people doing daily
that makes them fat, thin, etc...  Gyms are made to
alter biological patterns.  Lifestyles might (this is
still being studying, but thought about) trigger genes
to turn on that lead to diseases.  This all seems to
be set upon the ability for upper level to change the
lower level.  Inform and control can be argued into
similarities.  For instance, by controlling something
that something is being forced to alter, change, or
adapt to what is informing it (something is doing the
controlling).  Do you see these words blurring as
well, or am I being too critical in trying to help you
strengthen this definition between intellectual-social
levels?  What we might agree upon, though, is that the
higher the level, the easier change upon the level is
noticed.

unusally warm night,
SA