[MD] Social Imposition ?

david buchanan dmbuchanan at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 16 12:59:58 PST 2006

Ian said and/or quoted someone who said:
"The quality of an intellectual pattern is inversley proportional to the
level of effort (needed to be) imposed by society to maintain that pattern,
(but is proportional to how widespread it is believed by free thinkers)."
...Discuss.

dmb says:
The amount of enforcement used to maintain a set of beliefs isn't a good way
to judge the quality of belief. In some cases, it might even be totally
irrelevant. It will tell you lots about the values of the enforcer, but not
the quality of his values. I already addressed this in the "Food for
Thought" thread, where I pointed out that biological values need to be
addressed by way of physical "communication", but that this method is
immoral when directed at the content of belief, as was the case in the
Inquistion of the McCarthy period. On the level of intellect, logic and
empiricial evidence and such are the "forces" to be reckoned with. The
stability of intellectual structures is held together by an entirely
different set of values just like a glass of water is held together by a
different level of values than the level that holds a nation together. You
see?

It seems that your question is misleading in the extreme, Ian. The notion
that society uses its kind of authority to maintain beliefs pretty well
describes the source of our historical nightmares. Everything from the
Inquistion to the witch burning to the rise of fascism and fundamentalism in
our own time is a result of the confusion between social authority and
intellectual legitimacy. I mean, you seem to be using one of the major
problematic misconceptions as a basis to judge the distinction that is
supposed to address that same misconception. Again, have the key in your
hand but you're putting it in upside down or something. I think
intellectually guided societies will be less authoritarian and a happier
place for free thinkers, but the merit of an idea will be determined by its
ability to comply with intellectual values like rationality and agreement
with experience and NOT by how well it comforms to social traditions or
customs. Intellect doesn't play by those rules except when she's in the
hands of an immoral sell-out type or otherwise distorted. See, its not that
the intellectual level is amoral per se, its just that SOM has generated
some confusion about that. As Pirsig says, the intellectual level has its
own set of morals to be concerned with, its just that unconcerned with those
social level moral codes, the ones that are aimed at meeting the demands of
biology.

But, if I may take your point to simply mean that good ideas don't need to
be crammed down people's throats, we agree. Who wouldn't agree with that?

Please, gents, consider this principle of oppostion. The details of this
basic idea could be discussed forever, but at this point I'll just ask you
to consider the basic idea itself. I'm only saying that the relationship
between the 3rd and 4th levels is analogous to the relationship between the
2nd and 3rd. (As well as the relationship between the 1st and 2nd.) In each
case, the newer level is discrete in terms of its independence of purpose
and rests upon its parent in a taming, controlling, mollifying way in order
to achieve that new purpose. I think this principle is the best way to get
at the distinction between social and intellectual values.

I think it might help to avoid the complications that come from introducing
other sorts of distinctions. Science and religion, collective and
individual, belief and object of belief all strike me as pretty good ways to
confuse the issue rather than clear it up. Some people think creationism is
bad science while others think its not science at all and religion isn't
necessarily stupid or anti-intellectual. I would defy anyone here to
conceive of any thing in the universe that is not BOTH an individual and
also part of larger, collective entity. In fact, I hereby nominate that for
the "most useless distinction of the year" award. Long story short, I think
its good to examine the idea or belief in question. What does mean? What is
its function? What sort of things hold it together and what sort of things
does it hold together? What its the point and purpose? Answers to these
sorts of questions will tell you what level of values you're dealing with.
And of course with something as complex as a person or a culture, or even
the concepts of God, we'd have to break it down a bit to something more
specific. With things like people and nations, we can only talk about
averages and centers of gravity and make some generalizations. But that's
worth doing too, i think.

dmb