[MD] Food for Thought

craigerb at comcast.net craigerb at comcast.net
Sat Dec 16 21:40:35 PST 2006

> Re: the social & intellectual levels applying to only humans.

Pirsig made this statement in the current context of humans on earth.  I don't think he meant to exclude that the 3rd & 4th levels might apply 1) to "lower" species that might evolve or be educated, 2) to a "higher" species that might evolve from us or 3) to extraterrestrial species.

> Re: someone must be first to x.

This is true for some x but not others.  Someone might have been the first to eat a coconut.  But could there have been a first person to read?

> Re: the social level.

I see a distinction between social as interpersonal & social as institutional.  The leader (alpha male) of a goriila troop has the former kind of social role, a mayor has the latter.
Craig