[MD] Social Imposition ?

ARLO J BENSINGER JR ajb102 at psu.edu
Sun Dec 17 13:20:34 PST 2006

[Platt]
Somewhat hard to fathom since in Lila Pirsig constantly refers to "himself" and
repeatedly uses such terms as "herself," "yourself," and "itself" while making
occasional references to "self-assurance," "self- evident," "self-conscious,"
etc. I  wouldn't disagree with his  contention that the patterns contain the
self, but in doing so he acknowledges that the "self" -- both small and big --
exists, as he does many times in Lila.

[Arlo]
"This fictitious "man" has many synonyms: "mankind," "people," "the public," and
even such pronouns as "I," "he," and "they." Our language is so organized
around them and they are so convenient to use it is impossible to get rid of
them. There is really no need to. Like "substance" they can be used as long as
it is remembered that they're terms for collections of patterns and not some
independent primary reality of their own." (LILA)