[MD] Daodejing

Case Case at iSpots.com
Mon Dec 18 15:36:48 PST 2006

There are many books, Kant's for example that I would much prefer to read
about than to read. The Tao Te Ching is not one of them. It is so
marvelously profound and yet vague at the same time the looking at passages
from different translations is an adventure in itself. The fact that the
translations very so widely points to the fact that it is written in an
ancient foreign language and you can't just skim it and get a handle on it.
It is also a book that speaks for itself and I have spent very little time
pouring over what others have to say about it. I generally ignore the
translator's introduction for that matter. I have neglected even Chuang Tsu
in that respect. But it is fun glad you are enjoying it.

Case

-----Original Message-----
From: moq_discuss-bounces at moqtalk.org
[mailto:moq_discuss-bounces at moqtalk.org] On Behalf Of Heather Perella
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2006 12:29 PM
To: moq_discuss at moqtalk.org
Subject: [MD] Daodejing

Case or anybody else,
(Marsha mentioned)

     I understand an interest of yours is Daoism.
Have you ever read the philosophical translation, "DAO
DE JING "Making This Life Significant" translated and
with commentary by Roger T. Ames and David L. Hall?
They use newly discovered bamboo texts to strengthen
the translation, and also, incorporate a philosophical
approach, which this book is copyrighted 2003 and at
this time Ames and Hall state the daodejing "...is a
profoundly 'philosophical' text, and yet it has not
been treated as such."  They are also well aware of
the Western framework of philosophy, thus, encouraged
an Eastern translation in their final outcome.  Thus,
Dao can also mean field, and de can mean focus, yet,
the emphasize the meaning of these three words they
translate the title as "Making This Life Significant",
but do not diverge from dao still meaning field and de
meaning focus in the inner workings of the
translation.  Context also provides another angle into
what these words mean, for instance, de also means
excellence, dao means Way, Way-making, or Great One
(refer to the post-script).  Jing means stillness,
tranquility, equilibrium (Marsha, this might be a
better use and/or definition of equilibrium (jing) as
follows) "- far from being simple passivity, is an
ongoing, dynamic achievement of equilibrium that
requires constant monitoring and adjustment.  It is
important to remember that all correlative pairs
entail their opposites in the sense that jing is
'tranquility-becoming-agitated.'  Thus, tranquility
(jing) stands in a dominant relationship in its
partnership with agitation (dong); it does not negate
or exclude its opposite."
     This goes for all polarities.  I would say
polarities are static qualities.  This translation
discusses aesthetic harmony, too.
     So, have you read this translation?  And would
you say polarities are all static qualities?

cloudy,
SA

P.S. By the way, this translation includes a newly
discovered passage found in the appendix called, "The
Great One Gives Birth to the Waters"