[MD] Social Imposition ?

pholden at davtv.com pholden at davtv.com
Tue Dec 19 05:15:05 PST 2006

Quoting Case <Case at iSpots.com>:

> [Case]
> Guttenberg represents the next great exponential shift in this process. But
> writing itself was not invented by any one person. It developed over
> thousands of years. Cave painting from 30,000 years. Summerian, Babylonian
> and Egyptian go back 5,000 years. The oldest Chinese is around 3,500 years
> old. There were markings on bones carried by the 7000 year old ice man dug
> up a while back. So if you want to pick an "inventor" it will have to a be
> multicultural party.

I wonder who first made markings on bones. Just because the first persons involved
in the long history of writing are unknown doesn't make it "multicultural."

> But here it is the invention itself and its cultural impact that are
> important not the Who was on first thingy.
>
> > [Case]
> > But more to the point "Dynamic invention"; "magical emergence"? You say
> > potato I say potatoe. Evolution is about how systems maintain equilibrium
> > in the face of change. The extension of individual human memory in the
> > form of written language is a change that originated not in the
> > environment but in within the species. It is an example of an intellectual
> > pattern causing disequilibrium at the social level. As Prigione indicates
> > when a system is pushed into a far from equilibrium state in can either
> > reorganize into a higher state of energy or a lower one. In this instance
> > it was a higher one and the results are... well History.
>
> [Platt]
> Your description of evolution and Pirsig's are at odds. I'll go with
> Pirsig's.
>
> [Case]
> And in what specific way do you think my account is at odds with Pirsig's?

Didn't you in a post some time back reject Pirsig's explanation of evolution?
Anyway, I don't find anything about "equilibrium" in Pirsig's explanation. Here
you talk about "systems" as scientists do.