[MD] Social Imposition ?

Case Case at iSpots.com
Tue Dec 19 08:57:31 PST 2006

[Arlo]
I wouldn't use "multicultural" here, but it was certainly dialogic, and
hence collective. At the barest minimum, it took a negotiative effort from
two people, and as it was molded and shifted over historical-time involved
the collective labor of countless individuals. Without the "collective
consciousness", the mythos, such an endeavor would not have only been
impossible, it would have been pointless.

There is the continuing "myth" expoused here that "collective activity"
denies "individuals". It doesn't. Those cells that form the body are not
"ordered to do so for some greater good", they are not "obedient to a social
authority", they are individual cells following their own sense of DQ, and
in doing so collectively a larger, greater pattern is able to emerge.
Writing is a larger intellectual pattern that has emerged over historical
time due to the collective activity of many, many individuals. Were it NOT
for our collective activity, we would have no "writing", not only in its
origin, or its transmission, but also in its very content.

[Case]
The point is that language and writing occur in cultures that are not
connected. This does not appear to be something that was spread around the
world by word of mouth so to speak. It was developed independently all over
the planet. Symbolic representation in any case was not "invented" by
anyone. It appears to be biologically based. It develops. It evolved and
changed over time as you point out.