[MD] Social Imposition ?

pholden at davtv.com pholden at davtv.com
Tue Dec 19 18:30:47 PST 2006

Quoting ARLO J BENSINGER JR <ajb102 at psu.edu>:

> [Arlo had asked Platt]
> for you to give me a pattern in the MOQ the result of this process, or its
> inverse.
>
> Individual biological patterns originate out of the collective activity of
> individual inorganic patterns.
> Individual social patterns originate out of the collective activity of
> individual biological patterns.
> Individual intellectual patterns originate out of the collective activity of
> individual social patterns.
>
> An individual inorganic pattern can not invent biological patterns.
> An individual biological pattern can not invent social patterns.
> An individual social pattern can not invent intellectual patterns.
>
> [Platt proves he can't by replying]
> One and none as in Quality, Mind, Godhead, Tao, Cosmos, Void, Absolute,
> Ultimate, Self, Buddha, Witness, Now, Experience.
>
> [Arlo]
> You are talking about DQ (with the exception of Mind, which Pirsig places as a
> combination of social and intellectual patterns, and Self, which is again a
> collective of social and intellectual patterns), which is not a pattern in the
> MOQ at all but outside it.

No, I am talking about Quality, Mind, Godhead, Tao, Cosmos, Void, Absolute,
Ultimate, Self, Buddha, Witness, Now, Experience. Nothing is "outside" anything
in the MOQ. Inside and outside are SOM concepts.

> "In this plain of understanding static patterns of value are divided into four
> systems: inorganic patterns, biological patterns, social patterns and
> intellectual patterns. They are exhaustive. That's all there are. If you
> construct an encyclopedia of four topics-Inorganic, Biological, Social and
> Intellectual-nothing is left out. No "thing," that is. Only Dynamic Quality,
> which cannot be described in any encyclopedia, is absent."
>
> Are you suggesting these things are, in fact, patterns in the MOQ?
>
> Anyways, thanks for showing me I was right. Not that I doubted it. But thanks
> anyways.

If you think you are right, go right on believing you are right. It's your right
to think you cannot possibly be wrong.