[MD] Food for Thought

pholden at davtv.com pholden at davtv.com
Tue Dec 19 18:46:21 PST 2006

Quoting gav <gav_gc at yahoo.com.au>:

> platt:
>
> > A student learning about Einstein's relativity
> > theory is learning a
> > social pattern because the theory is now
> > conventional wisdom.
> >

> hi platt et al
>
> this doesn't make sense to me. social patterns are
> unconscious forces that glue a society together, allow
> it to be a society. relativity theory is a theory, ie
> it is intellectual. it is also a bloody great headfuck
> for most. so i don't see how, when most people don't
> understand relativity theory, how it can be a social
> pattern.

The fact that Einstein's theory is something that is taught to students
puts it in the social pattern category. Lots of people don't understand
our government and many of our laws, but they are still social patterns.
Anyway, I don't see how social patterns like the governments, churches,
and universities are "unconscious forces." But, I could be wrong.