[MD] Social Imposition ?

ARLO J BENSINGER JR ajb102 at psu.edu
Tue Dec 19 18:16:52 PST 2006

[Arlo had asked Platt]
for you to give me a pattern in the MOQ the result of this process, or its
inverse.

Individual biological patterns originate out of the collective activity of
individual inorganic patterns.
Individual social patterns originate out of the collective activity of
individual biological patterns.
Individual intellectual patterns originate out of the collective activity of
individual social patterns.

An individual inorganic pattern can not invent biological patterns.
An individual biological pattern can not invent social patterns.
An individual social pattern can not invent intellectual patterns.

[Platt proves he can't by replying]
One and none as in Quality, Mind, Godhead, Tao, Cosmos, Void, Absolute,
Ultimate, Self, Buddha, Witness, Now, Experience.

[Arlo then]
You are talking about DQ (with the exception of Mind, which Pirsig places as a
combination of social and intellectual patterns, and Self, which is again a
collective of social and intellectual patterns), which is not a pattern in the
MOQ at all but outside it.

[Platt]
No, I am talking about Quality, Mind, Godhead, Tao, Cosmos, Void, Absolute,
Ultimate, Self, Buddha, Witness, Now, Experience. Nothing is "outside" anything
in the MOQ. Inside and outside are SOM concepts.

[Arlo]
I've already addressed "mind" and "self", which Pirsig clearly indicates are
collectives of patterns. As to the rest, I had asked for "any pattern". Are you
suggesting the rest of these things on your list ARE patterns? On what level?

So if these ARE patterns, please tell me what level you place them on. If they
ARE NOT patterns, then you still have not been able to answer the question, as
I never said "DQ" (or Quality, or the Tao, or the Buddha) are "emergent
patterns" (with the exception of the intellectual patterns we use to talk about
them, which are patterns emerged from social patterns.)

[Platt]
If you think you are right, go right on believing you are right. It's your right
to think you cannot possibly be wrong.

[Arlo]
I could be wrong. Explain to me how I am.

Give me one pattern that is NOT explained by the emergence. Use your proof
passage.

"The cells Dynamically invented animals to preserve and improve their situation.
The animals Dynamically invented societies, and societies Dynamically invented
intellectual knowledge for the same reasons."

How do the cells "invent" animals in a way that differs from emergence?