[MD] Food for Thought

pholden at davtv.com pholden at davtv.com
Wed Dec 20 14:55:14 PST 2006

Quoting David M <davidint at blueyonder.co.uk>:

> Hi Platt
>
> I am talking about the fact that you cannot
> actually teach a student to understand any theory,
> you can only lead them up to it, get them to examine
> it, etc. There has to be a point of 'getting it' the ah-ha
> moment, where you make the same discovery
> by yourself that Einstein once made, otherwise
> you have never truly understood it.

Point well taken. No argument. My point is simply when the student
"gets it" he is getting a social pattern, i.e., a former intellectual
pattern that has become widely "gotten" now around the world by millions
of science students. It is no longer "fresh." Like Pirsig's term "philosophology,"
relativity theory is "scienceophology." So is Darwin's theory. As such,
they have been relegated to social level patterns. But, I could be wrong.