[MD] Social Imposition ?

ARLO J BENSINGER JR ajb102 at psu.edu
Thu Dec 21 19:39:05 PST 2006

[Platt]
Quality, the law of gravity and society are abstract ideas no camera can catch.

[Arlo]
I don't think society is "an idea", adn I don't think Pirsig would count Quality
as "an idea" either. A social pattern, let's take a nice holiday one, the
"family", is a mutual engagement that _is_ something more than just a few
people standing next to each other.

[Platt to David M]
Collectivists like to make us all the same so they can control us, like sheep.

[Arlo]
I'm sorry, as the resident "collectivists" can you remind me where I said "we
are all the same" and should be "controlled like sheep"? Or is this part of my
hidden agenda?

Interestingly, on Bill O'Reilly today, in support of his latest book, said (and
I quote), "when we become a nation of individuals, when we lose sight of the
greater good, we end up with this narcisstic, narcisstic culture that we see
today". I thought this was strange talk for a neocon spokesman, but thought I'd
share it.

[Platt]
As for the two cells, who knows what they deny?

[Arlo]
Its just an analogy to remind us how foolish it likely is for us to sit around
aggrandizing about how WE are the zenith of all things that were and ever will
be.