[MD] Social Imposition ?

Platt Holden pholden at davtv.com
Sat Dec 23 04:41:14 PST 2006

> [Platt]
> Maybe the distinction between words and direct experience isn't
> important, but for some reason I think it is. In any event, the
> relationship is endlessly fascinating.
>
> [Arlo]
> I, too, think it is important. We have our "immediate esthetic
> experiences", or our "pre-intellectual experience", or "Zen moments", or
> what will you, but as soon as we get into logos or mythos we are (and I
> know you HATE this word) mediated by language. As I just quoted to Ian,
> "Our intellectual description of nature is always culturally derived"
> (LILA). This quote continues, "Nature tells us only what our culture
> predisposes us to hear. The selection of which inorganic patterns to
> observe and which to ignore is made on the basis of social patterns of
> value, or when it is not, on the basis of biological patterns of value."
> (LILA)

I pretty much buy that. Our attention is certainly influenced by the
culture which we depend on for survival although I could do without the
filling of mental space with the antics of Britney Spears and company.

As for the rest of your post, I beg to be excused for total lack of
familiarity with the vocabulary, thus rendering understanding next to
nil. In other words, what you are saying about structuration , agency,
actor-network theory and the like is way over my head. It sounds
erudite, but for all I know it could be complete and utter bull.
However, I have enough respect for your intellectual integrity to cast
out any doubts about the authenticity of what you say and only wish
I had the background to more fully comprehend it and thus be able to
engage in an exchange of ideas. As it is, I have nothing to contribute
which is probably from your standpoint a blessing. :-)