[MD] Food for Thought

david buchanan dmbuchanan at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 23 13:39:22 PST 2006

Case said to dmb:
You did a fine job in the Kant's Motorcycle thread of stating what you saw
as the difference between Pirsig's bike and Kant's scooter but it all just
looked like a paint job to me. Throughout the thread I became increasingly
convinced that Pirsig's Quality is indistinguishable from Kant's TITs. I
don't recall you doing much to disabuse me of this view.

dmb says:
Indistinquishable? But, but ,but there are no Kantian things-in-themselves
at all in the MOQ. It simply makes no sense to equate the two. I offered an
explanation of Radical Empiricism so you could begin to see why this is so
but you just brushed it off and declared that you were still thinking about
Kant, rememeber? In fact, according that that brand of empiricism, TiTs are
ruled out. Asserting them is against the rules, so to speak. I finished the
paper I was working on. It doesn't mention Kants TiTs, but it should provide
a pretty clear picture of Radical Empiricsim. If you're interested I could
send it to you. But the short answer is that Radical Empiricism does not
allow a metaphysician to posit any entity or cause that can't be known in
experience. As you very likely already know, this would exclude metaphysical
entities such as God and Kantian things-in-themsleves.

Case said:
More to the point at hand I have voiced my skepticism about the usefulness
of static levels but I regard them as totally secondary to the central
points of the MoQ. Aw hell, I have disagree with lots of what you guys seem
to think is central to the MoQ and I have offered alternative views that as
far as I can tell can only be dismissed by slapping SOM on their bumpers. I
really don't think the MoQ is ONLY about mystical monism or mysticism in any
form. I really don't think the MoQ is anti-theistic. But so what. Even
Pirsig said dissenters are welcome here. Is this not true. Are you two
saying that dissent is unwelcome and can be simply dismissed with "He's SOM,
oh well."

dmb says:
Yea, that's it. I'm all about crushing the dissenters. I'm not into having a
conversation or expressing a disagreement with your assertions. I'm only
interested conducting an inquisition to enforce unsupported dogma. I'm not
comparing epistemolgies or discussing metaphysical starting points, I'm just
enforcing a gag order. Why? Because high quality beliefs must be crammed
down throats. Everybody knows that. Presenting a rational explanation is
useless. Makng sense is beside the point. Force is the only means of
conversion. Yea, that's it. And slavery is freedom.

But if I may be a little more serious, I wonder why you reject the MOQ's
mysticism and anti-theism? Is that what its really about? Are you rejecting
these elements because they disturb your personal religious beliefs? I think
these two elements, as well as the social-intellectual distinction, are
quite threatening to just about anyone who subscribes to a traditional
religion. But I do not recall you making any kind of rational or
philosophical case against them. You sort of just express disapproval or
shrug it off with a dismissive attitude...

Case said:
Because if you are comfortable browsing the New Age section, fine. Have
another mocha and pretend it's philosophy, if it suits you. I think the MoQ
belongs in the science section.

dmb replies:
See, this sort of comment is based on the assumption that mysticism is
merely a pretentious New Age thing and that it is at odds with real
philosophy and with science. But its simply a matter of historical fact that
philosophical mysticism has existed in the West from the begining and,
unlike the museum of creationism, it is not at odds with science or
rationality.

Case said:
...As I have stated many, many times I think the first cut of metaphysics
into stasis and dynamics is a brilliant move. But mystifying the terms is a
big step in the wrong direction. How saying this makes me SOM remains a
mystery... This is the first party I have been to where anyone has accused
me of being smart or sane. It really is hard to know how to take that. I
guess I really just dropped in to drop a steamer in the punchbowl.

dmb replies:
Mystifying the terms static and dynamic? I think you read this distinction
as if it were all about physics. You read it in terms of scientific
materialism and this constitutes a misconception. I mean, its kind of hard
to imagine how one could read LILA and conclude that Pirsig doesn't equate
DQ with the mystical reality and that the MOQ is not a form of philosophical
mysticism. Its not the sort of thing we find between the lines or that's
otherwise merely implied. The author says so explicitly. You're free to
disagree with him, of course, but it hardly makes sense to read the MOQ as
if he didn't say these things. I think it doesn't even make much sense to
minimize these elements unless the the point is simply to reject the MOQ. In
that case, given the context, it seems that the least a dissenter could do
is provide some good reasons for this rejection. For that purpose, scientism
and mockery just doesn't cut the mustard.

Its like quoting the bible at an atheist. Doing so only shows that you don't
understand his position. That would be a case of missing the punchbowl.

And finally, please accept my apology for characterizing your views as
"sane" and the like. I'm also sorry that I refered to your momma as a
"reader". Sometimes I lose my temper but its only because I care.

Thanks,
dmb