[MD] Dawkins a Materialist

ian glendinning psybertron at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 12:00:58 PST 2006

DMB, Case, David, Dan et al, ///

DMB, you said to Case
What sense does it make to criticize one kind
faith from the standpoint of a different sort of faith?

I say, I've had this debate with you before too DMB.
It's not the faith, but the kind of faith that matters. For all its
objectivism, science also relies on faith (in its methods). It still
has mysterious beliefs at its boundaries. The real point is "blind"
faith in authoritity (a purely social quality), something science
avoids.

Interestingly, I've just re-read Ilya Progigine at David M's
recommendation. If nothing else it reminds how, even in science,
authority is not to be trusted, if it doesn't ring true.

Ian.