[MD] Where have all the values gone?

Scott Roberts jse885 at localnet.com
Fri Jan 13 09:35:52 PST 2006

Arlo, Erin

Arlo said:
In short, of the four dialogic modes in this discussion:

Public-intimate
Public-chit chat
Private-intimate
Private-chit chat

We are moving, on a cultural level, towards near exclusive engagement in the
"Private-chit chat" mode. A day of solitude, ideally hoping it would foster
24
hours of "private-intimate" dialogue would be a good thing.

Scott:
What about no dialogue at all, which is what I assumed "absolute solitude"
would mean. There is also this, from Pascal: "the sole cause of man's
unhappiness  is that he does not know how to stay quietly in his own room."
Well, "sole" cause may be stretching it, but I think he has a point.

- Scott