[MD] Pirsig's theory of truth

Matt Kundert pirsigaffliction at hotmail.com
Mon May 3 08:09:40 PDT 2010

Steve said:
We all agree that the law of gravity didn't exist before
Newton. ... Though the law of gravity did not exist before
Newton, we can still say that belief in Newtonian physics
would have been a better belief to have than what they
had.

Matt:
Heidegger suggested that Newton's laws were neither
true nor false before Newton dreamed them up.  Rorty said
this about it in 2000: "I once tried to defend Heidegger's
audacity, but my defense went over like a lead balloon.  So
I have resigned myself to intuiting, like everybody else, that
a true sentence was true before anybody thought it up."
The paper's only ever been published in German (in 1987),
and Rorty says Robert Brandom had taken a look at the
paper, and counseled him "to leave it in the decent
obscurity of a learned language."

Was Rorty just following the crowd?  Or did he learn, from
Jeffery Stout's writings on morals and Davidson's on truth,
that it just doesn't pay to be counter-intuitive in that way?
Where is the upshot, is Steve's point, in thinking that
Newton's laws became true?  Because now you need
something that _makes_ it true.  Now you need a bridge
between justification and truth, a bridge Davidson doesn't
think we need because he says "truth" is a semantic notion,
not an epistemic one.

Matt