[MD] Reading & Comprehension

Arlo Bensinger ajb102 at psu.edu
Mon May 3 11:05:21 PDT 2010

[Craig]
I would say the one example is the MoQ. 1) The
MoQ is/is- part- of the Intellectual Level 2) The
MoQ isn't/isn't-part-of the SOM 3) :. SOM isn't the Intellectual Level.

[Arlo]
Yeah. I think a source of confusion here is to
think that because intellectual patterns are
built with symbols, and symbols are predominantly
linguistic, and language makes us of "subject"
and "object" grammatically, then one misconstrues all that as SOM.

But language also makes use of verbs and time. It
would be as easy to characterize intellect as
Motion-Time Metaphysics, that being the case.

In any case, the distinction is that SOM is a
unique subset of intellectual patterns that
begins with the premise that a "subject-object"
divide is the PRIMARY metaphysical split, and
then any subsequent "reasoning" from that premise we'd label "SOM".

This is precisely what led Pirsig to ask: Now
that intellect was in command of society for the
first time in history, was this the intellectual
pattern it was going to run society with? (LILA)