[MD] Ham's theory of Truth

Ham Priday hampday1 at verizon.net
Tue May 4 13:40:20 PDT 2010

MoQers All --

On 3 May 2010 at 4:31 PM, DMB quoted Pirsig from ZMM:

> "What I'm driving at is the notion that before the beginning
> of the earth, before the sun and the stars were formed,
> before the primal generation of anything, the law of gravity existed."

Steve begs to differ:
> "Sure".
> "Sitting there, having no mass of its own, no energy of its own,
> not in anyone's mind because there wasn't anyone, not in space
> because there was no space either, not anywhere - this law of
> gravity still existed?"
>
> We all agree that the law of gravity didn't exist before Newton.

Steve is correct that the "law" of gravity didn't exist because there was no
empirical evidence or observer to posit such a law.  On the other hand,
Prisig is correct in the sense that there is no justification for denying
the "principle" of gravity as a truth even in the absence of these
contingencies.

How can Ham defend RBP on the ground that Truth is a "cosmic principle"?
This concept is so critical to the ontology of the MoQ and Essentialism that
I'm taking the liberty of plagiarizing Steven's theme just so you guys will
pay attention!

A cosmic principle is a metaphysical law that applies to existential reality
whether or not that reality is actualized.  It can be understood as meaning:
Given a space/time universe, the principle will manifest itself in the
dynamics of said reality.  You might say that cosmic principles are
metaphysical laws pre-designed or "programmed" into the universe.  'Ex
nihilo nihil fit' is another such cosmic principle, as are logic,
mathematics, and the 'not-other' nature of the uncreated source.  These are
all metaphysical truths inherent in the structure or order of existential
reality.

What is important about these fundamental laws is not that they can be
expressed in mathematical equations, comprehended relationally, and utilized
pragmatically, but that they are REALIZABLE in our experience of reality.
And, as Mary reminds us, "The most important thing you will ever make is a
realization."

Never underestimate realization.  It's the power of your sensibility to
actualize reality from Value.

If you think I'm wrong, or that my theory of Truth "undermines" Pirsig's
philosophy, now is the time to challenge me.  Let me warn you. however, I
don't give up easily.

Thanks folks,
Ham