[MD] Spinning our Wheels, metaphorically speaking

Steven Peterson peterson.steve at gmail.com
Tue May 4 19:26:51 PDT 2010

Hi John,

John:
> William James was no atheist.  You'll have to suffer some variety of
> religious expression occasionaly  if you're gonna make him your guy.

Steve:
I agree. While there are some interesting similarities between Pirsig
and James, at some point DMB will have to put his secularism up
against James's "The Will to Believe" and see what wins. I'd be
interested to hear his thoughts on the article as a secularist and a
Jamesian.

http://falcon.jmu.edu/~omearawm/ph101willtobelieve.html

Also, from his 1907 Pragmatism lectures:
"On pragmatic principles, if the hypothesis of God works
satisfactorily in the widest sense of the word, then it is 'true.' "

Best,
Steve