[MD] Pirsig's theory of truth

skutvik at online.no skutvik at online.no
Fri May 7 08:52:53 PDT 2010

Ian

You wrote:

> Hopefully Bo, you can therefore see why I 99% agree with your position.
> In a way, the only thing I resist in your position is the tendency to
> wrap the good in a static conception of the MoQ - exactly as you / and
> Pirsig criticize Plato in that quote.

We have on several occasion tried to come closer, but something
blows us apart, I hope for fusion but .... "Wrap the good in a static
position ...etc"? The MOQ is neither static or dynamic, but the
QUALITY CONTEXT itself, one may get too dynamic.

> In the same way as SOM destroyed Arete by rigidly encasing it, it is
> possible to do the same with Quality in the MoQ if we don't allow it
> (and its definitions) room to breathe, room for atma.

SOM destroyed Aretê in the ZAMM context because it (SOM) was
Quality's only fall-out there (called "intellect" FYI) You can't be as rigid
as DMB who insists on ZAMM being a reality of itself unperturbed by
the MOQ, but nothing exists outside its static range and in such a
retro-translation it's plain that it ZAMM describes intellect's emergence
from society*). To portray an historical era as all Quality-steeped is
impossible, that goes for a group "teaching Quality", it can only be
taught in the form of the MOQ.

> You're happy being 99% perfect, but I ... wanna go one better ;-) Ian

If the Intellectual level isn't 100% SOM it is not THE SOM, but a
mental container that has SOM at one layer and the MOQ at another
and every metaphysics and systems  since God knows when, and this
is good old MIND. Besides all levels exists inside that mind-intellect.
There seems to be something that prevents you all from grasping
Phaedrus' original insight, I wish I knew what that blockage is?

Bodvar

*) P. of ZAMM is not the only one regarding (what the MOQ calls) the
social era as a paradise lost. Remember Scott Roberts' Owen
Barfield? His "participation" scheme starts with a golden age called
"original participation" which is much like Aretê, then a "loss of
participation" which is uncannily like SOM, and then he foresees a
"restoration of participation" that must be his "moq", it's some time
since I checked his system.