[MD] Know-how

Matt Kundert pirsigaffliction at hotmail.com
Fri May 7 11:34:19 PDT 2010

I think if we follow the Turner letter definition of intellectual
patterns as manipulation of symbols, then that's pretty
much coextensive with propositional knowing-that.  And
that, I think, would mean that bio and social are
know-how--you can't articulate what you are doing, but
you get things done successfully nevertheless.  The trouble,
as always, in the schematic is how to describe DQ's place.

I remember reading a transcript of a lecture Pirsig gave
once where (if memory serves) he used Bertrand Russell's
distinction between knowledge by appearance and
knowledge by description to catch hold of the same thing.
To illustrate the existence of the former he described
knowing our grandmother's face before consciously
knowing it was our grandmother.  There's a TV show with
Tim Roth out right now (instant on Netflix!) called Lie to
Me that's all about the turning of a know-how--the
detection of deception and emotions in the face and
body--into a propositional knowing-that (well, it's not at
all _about_ that, but is what the premise of the show
embodies).

While there's nothing in Sellarsian pragmatism that has to
deny any of this (Rorty's and Sellars' students have in fact
become better and better at capturing it), it also isn't clear
to me how the distinction between know-how and
knowing-that gets what some people seem to want out of
the notion of "pre-intellectual cutting edge of reality."  For
example, Russell absolutely did _not_ mean the distinction
between know-how and knowing-that.  He meant more like
"direct experience of reality," and once we have an
awareness of know-how and knowing-that it either A) takes
away all the analogies with know-how in explicating what
"language doesn't capture" or B) makes it even more unclear
how language (knowing-that) gets in the way of "direct
experience" (know-how)--because on the analysis being
offered, knowing-that is just one kind of know-how.

Matt