[MD] e: Reading & Comprehension

John Carl ridgecoyote at gmail.com
Sat May 8 18:48:48 PDT 2010

Arlo and Mary,

> > [Arlo]
> >
> > What has been interesting over the years is to witness the psychology
> > behind this. At the risk of pointing out the obvious, Bo's SOLAQI
> > seems to be an attempt to place "Western Culture" as the morally
> > dominant worldview, and reduces all non-Western worldviews to
> > "social". That is, "we" (Western cultures) are
> > "intellect",  non-Western cultures are "just social", and so our
> > superiority can be claimed.
>
> [Mary Replies]
> Don't see it that way, Arlo.  Non-Western cultures are SOM-based too.  Just
> as "guilty" of emersion in the subject-object paradigm.  There is no
> difference, as you say too...

I DO see it that way Arlo, in fact, I agree completely.  Western Culture
already has materialistic dominance.  It doesn't seem quite fair to beqeath
it moral dominance as well.  The whole social level = bad, intellectual
level = good has been problematic for me from day one and I think Arlo, (as
usual) makes some good points here.

> Arlo: > The Buddha rests just as comfortably in
> > semiotics as in gardening.
>
> Mary:The MoQ is as SOM as SOM can be.  It can be nothing else.  It's not in
> higher level or a separate one.

John:  if the Moq is SOM then fuck it.  I don't know why we're even
bothering.

> Arlo:
>

> > The MOQ is not a "burn
> > down the universities" philosophy, it is a "reclaim the universities"
> > philosophy. It does not condemn "science", it saves it. It does not
> > dismiss rationality, but it expands its power. As DMB pointed out,
> > the goal of the MOQ is beautiful science and intelligent art.

John:

Well said Arlo.  And exactly to the point as well.  Hear, hear.  And dmb as
well.  Every once in a while a parrot gets it right.

> It does this by explaining DQ in the SOM terms everyone can understand.

Arlo:

> > The SOL view offers us neither.

Mary:

> How so?

John:

I don't know if I would be able to explain this rationally Mary, this
postulation of Arlo's, but yet I believe it with my whole heart.  So where
do we go from here?

Intermittent John