[MD] Know-how

Matt Kundert pirsigaffliction at hotmail.com
Sun May 9 13:39:45 PDT 2010

Ian said:
> Matt had said that it
> "isn't clear to me how the distinction between know-how and
> knowing-that gets what some people seem to want out of the notion of
> "pre-intellectual cutting edge of reality."
>
> I agree, but it's clear that it is an interesting distinction to work
> with, to see if we can clarify some useful notions.
> There is something in this, and I do believe that the radical
> empiricist (cutting edge) has something to do with know-that ... in
> this context.

Matt:
Well, clear for you and others who do find it interesting.  I
just don't get it, and haven't read anything that quite
explains it to me, or been able to help me "get the hang of
it" (one of those nice phrases Rorty liked for
vocabulary-choice that refers to know-how).

The part in ellipsis is everything where you sympathize with
Steve and gloss it a little with memes and whatnot, all of
which I think I have the hang of, but if that's the meat
between the slices of "it's clear 'pre-intellectual experience'
is an interesting notion" and radical empiricism, it still
doesn't help me see what the relationship is between the
meat and the bread.  In this metaphor, DMB has always
thought that radical empricism is part of the meat.  And
what I haven't understood is what the connection is
between these different pieces that some people like DMB
perceive as all meat, and I perceive as falling into two
piles, meat (pragmatism) and optional packaging (radical
empiricism).

Matt