[MD] Pirsig's theory of truth

David Thomas combinedefforts at earthlink.net
Sun May 9 17:48:23 PDT 2010

On 5/8/10 8:34 AM, "Mary" <marysonthego at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> The platypus of truth.  Either you believe something is true for all time
> regardless of whether it is known or understood at the time, or you believe
> truth is contextual and provisional - true now but not true before.
>
> The MoQ ascribes to neither.
>
> It renders the debate moot by raising our consciousness to the realization
> that we only have the debate at all because we are trapped in the
> subject-object dichotomy.
>
> Once the assumption that subjects and objects are all there is is
> transcended and we see that Quality is all there is, the futility of the
> argument is apparent.
>
> Truth is revealed as the emperor's new clothes; but, unlike the story, we
> are all emperors wearing the truth on our "sleeves", never noticing that we
> have no sleeves and are in fact naked.
>

> Static patterns of value represent Dynamic Quality.
>
> Dynamic Quality is indefinable and unknowable.  It is unpatterned.
>
> The world as we know it is composed of nothing but static patterns of value.
>
> Truth is a SOL static pattern of value.
>
> For something to be "true" something else must be "false".
>

> Time is also a static pattern of value.  The concept of beginning and end,
> future and past logically had to have been the "first" static pattern there
> was.
>
> This is because without the concept of time, there can be no change.  Change
> requires comparison.  Without a "prior", what would be the change?

"Truth is female, since truth is beauty rather than handsomeness;
this..would certainly explain the saying that a lie could run around the
world before Truth has gotten its, correction, her boots on, since she would
have to choose which pair -the idea that any woman in a position to choose
would have just one pair of boots being beyond rational belief. Indeed, as a
goddess she would have lots of shoes, an thus many choices: comfy shoes for
home truths, hobnail boots for unpleasant truths, simple clogs for universal
truths and possibly some type of slipper for self-evident truth."
Terry Pratchett-Unseen Acamemicals

It's all that shoe choose'n and change'n that confusing.

Dave