[MD] The value of ritual

skutvik at online.no skutvik at online.no
Mon May 10 23:31:59 PDT 2010

Platt, All!

May 10 you wrote

> Those who consider static patterns to be of less value than DQ might want
> to consider the positive effects of ritual in the practice of medicine. In
> an article about placebos entitled "The Magic Cure," the author concludes:

Where do you place rituals in the static hierarchy? Or do you see
rituals as "stability" itself? Maybe you speak about that lower down.

> "It may be, then, that the simplest and least ethically hazardous way to
> capitalize on the placebo effect is to acknowledge that medicine isn't
> just a set of approved treatments -- it's also a ritual, with symbolism
> and meaning that are key to its efficacy. As its best, the ritual spurs
> positive expectations, sparks associations with past healing experiences,
> and eases distress in ways that can alleviate suffering. These meanings,
> researchers say, are what the placebo effect is really about."

The article baffled me greatly, as does the placebo effect in general.
The most baffling part was that about patients who were informed that
they got a sugar pill or saline injection and yet "got well".  I thought that
would neutralize the placebo effect. Perhaps the thing is the social
value of being cared for - treated - or receiving attention.

Anyway it undermines SOM, that's for sure, but  does it undermine the
SOL interpretation of the intellectual level? (I hear wing beats from
Andre coming like a Harpy) No, its the objective scientific attitude that
has revealed the placebo effect and does experiments on it, and as
the article show - don't pooh-pooh it but really goes into the matter with
an open mind.

> http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2010/05/09/the_magic_cure
> /?page =full

> In addition, a recent article in the Wall St. Journal entitled "The Power
> of Lucky Charms" described various studies showing that ". . . the
> activation of superstition can yield performance-improving effects."

> Whether a from placebo or a lucky charm, the positive results from ritual
> appear to be demonstrable. In fact, Pirsig also sees the benefits of
> ritual:

> "Phaedrus saw nothing wrong with this ritualistic religion as long as the
> rituals are seen as merely a static portrayal of Dynamic Quality, a
> signpost which allows socially pattern-dominated people to see Dynamic
> Quality." (Lila, 30)

Right, here it is: "socially-patterned people" The natives of many
places had witches and witch doctors who mixed som disgusting
medicines and it worked, as did death spells and Voodoo dolls and a
million other  such things, but God I'm glad intellect lodged on top of
the social level and we have a medical profession that works on the
premises of placebo being placebo. As said it does not heal broken
bones or open clogged heart arteries.

> Also interesting is Pirsig's description of the practice of Zen whereby
> ritual is deliberately imposed in order to enlighten.

IMO, the static rituals of ANY level was what made the DQ want to flee
it and establish a new level. The drag of the social rituals made the
thinkers of Greece (and India) establish their respective intellectual
stages . The intellect of the West cemented into SOM and its
(academic) rituals made young Phaedrus want to flee the Church of
Reason. I speak in past tense because now that the Dynamic Urge
has found its place at the top "All is quiet at the Western Front". Those
who speak of a dynamic MOQ don't understand.

> Just another example of the depth and explanatory power of the MOQ.

That we agree about.

Bodvar