[MD] e: Reading & Comprehension

Arlo Bensinger ajb102 at psu.edu
Tue May 11 07:50:28 PDT 2010

[Marsha]
I understand intellectual patterns to be built on the SOM premise.

[Arlo]
But again, if this is so, what is "cancerous" about any? Certainly
not SOM, since that defines the level. Indeed, if all intellectual
patterns are SOM, what exactly was Pirsig lamenting in ZMM? If
"intellect" can be nothing else but SOM, then what's the beef with
Aristotle? And those Sophists, they were peddling SOM too.

[Marsha]
Maybe I misunderstood, but it seemed you were defending the social
level from being called inferior to the intellectual level.

[Arlo]
As I said, to the contrary, I think that calling "intellect" nothing
but SOM achieves this. It puts intellect as a whole as a cancerous
element atop society, it makes "intellect" at best something to be
overcome in an otherwise harmonious evolution. Of course intellect
should have moral dominance over society, but I think Pirsig's point
of asking "was this the pattern intellect was going to run with?"
shows that intellect-as-SOM is the problem.