[MD] The value of ritual

Ham Priday hampday1 at verizon.net
Tue May 11 20:49:32 PDT 2010

Platt and Bodvar --

This provides a rare opportunity to pair you two up on a topic other than
the intellectual level!

The witch doctor or mdicine man who practiced his ritual of herbs and magic
potions on tribal cultures was believed to have supernatural healing powers;
and that belief alone undoubtedly played a significant role in the efficacy
of the ritual.

Bo asks:
> Where do you place rituals in the static hierarchy?
> Or do you see rituals as "stability" itself?

I think Platt may have put too much emphasis on this aspect of medical
practice.  Reference to "ritual" came up only at the end of the Boston Globe
article where it concerned a Harvard researcher's study of patients with
irritable bowel syndrome.  None of the three groups studied actually
received treatment, and Kaptchuk was comparing the results of sham treatment
applied "in a friendly, empathetic way" as opposed to a "businesslike" way,
or not at all.  Kaptchuk said nothing about "rituals" in his conclusions
about the doctor/patient relationship; only that that "connecting with the
patient, rapport, empathy ... that few extra minutes is not just icing on
the cake.  It has biology."

The power of positive thinking had a long history of success before Norman
Vincent Peale turned it into a best-selling book.  True, as Bo said, a
positive attitude and placebos will "not heal broken bones or open clogged
heart arteries."  But it's an accepted fact, even to the medical profession,
that patients who are optimistic about the outcome of their treatment
recover faster, with less chance of infection, and live longer on average
than those who are not.  Some attribute this anomaly to "faith" (in God or
the cure) which, if strong enough, may lead to a "miracle recovery".

Mary Baker Eddy, the founder of Christian Science, believed in total
submission to the will of an all-powerful God.  Her belief was based on the
doctrine that whatever happens is because God wills it.  Christian
Scientists are known for not using medicine, believing that illness is an
illusion caused by faulty beliefs and that prayer heals by replacing false
thoughts with spiritually true ones.  (Sound familiar?)

My maternal grandmother was a "Scientist" who contracted breast cancer in
her 80s but refused to see a physician.  She was cared for at home where she
was visited by members of the church and cared for by my aunt (a nurse) who
comforted her mother until she died peacefully in her bed at the age of 88.

Most of the people I've known who've lived long, productive lives were
robust in spirit as well as body.  This suggests that the physical health of
an individual is in large part due to his/her "state of mind".  We know, for
example, that anxiety can lead to depression, which is deleterious to
health.  It follows that the person who is "at peace with himself"
spiritually--whether by virtue of a philosophical worldview or a religious
conviction--is not only better able to realize life's value while in good
health, but better prepared to live out his final days more fulfilled and
content than someone troubled and conflicted about the nature and meaning of
the life-experience.

Thanks for linking us to this article, Platt.  And thanks to Bo for pointing
out that "it's the objective scientific attitude that has revealed the
placebo effect and does experiments on it."

Best regards,
Ham