[MD] e: Reading & Comprehension

John Carl ridgecoyote at gmail.com
Wed May 12 17:50:42 PDT 2010

Arlo the french fry and others,

Well, it really pains me to say this, Marsha and Bo, you know I love you
guys, but I'm pretty much with dave and Arlo's side of this debate:  you
can't make the 4th level SOM, it pretty much ruins the entire MOQ to do so.

Not to mention making ZAMM and Lila utterly ridiculous.

I think the problem is in labeling, in the connotations (gasp) and
denotations of "intellectual",  I believe 4th level transcendance is about
much more than intellectual thinking.

Rationality is an artform, after all.  Selected and created for it's power
and beauty, aesthetic values were responsible for ITS formation, therefore I
see it as one painting in the gallery, one tool in the drawer of an overall
aesthetic level.

The 4th level should be deemed, not an intellectual level, but an ART level.
 A dynamic, creative, artistic and intellectual level of man's highest felt
strivings.  Labeling it "intellectual" is wrong, imo, but given Pirsig's
natural bent, I can see how he'd call it this.  But also seeing how the
entire edifice of ZAMM and the MoQ was in thrashing this ghost of reason, I
can't see him, us or anyone making it the hierarchical peak of metaphysical
existence.

And certainly not SOM.

John the onion ring