[MD] the sophists

Arlo Bensinger ajb102 at psu.edu
Fri May 14 05:52:37 PDT 2010

[Marsha]
RMP does not reference SOM in ZMM.

[Arlo]
Talk about word games! No, he does not use the
triad-lexical of "subject-object metaphysics",
but even is quite clear in what he is condemning.

"And so: he rejected the left horn. Quality is
not objective, he said. It doesn't reside in the material world.

Then: he rejected the right horn. Quality is not
subjective, he said. It doesn't reside merely in the mind.

And finally: Phædrus, following a path that to
his knowledge had never been taken before in the
history of Western thought, went straight between
the horns of the subjectivity-objectivity dilemma
and said Quality is neither a part of mind, nor
is it a part of matter. It is a third entity
which is independent of the two." (ZMM)

"Man is not the source of all things, as the
subjective idealists would say. Nor is he the
passive observer of all things, as the objective
idealists and materialists would say." (ZMM)

He later formalizes the term "SOM" to describe
the opposing traditions of dominance in Western
thought, but to suggest in any way that the
Sophists were peddling "SOM" is ridiculous.
Indeed, Marsha, if you're gonna bend over that
far to make SOL work for you, I suggest a new career in the circus.

[Marsha]
To say the intellectual level could have been
different is much like saying human being could
have evolved with wings and flippers:  Idle speculation.

[Arlo]
Well, first, one point is the SOL says it NEVER
could be any other way. Intellect IS SOM. There
could never be an intellect that is NOT. Pirsig's
entire thesis revolves around the fact that it
COULD, and moreover that it SHOULD, have evolved
differently in the West had it followed a
different trajectory. Its not mere "idle
speculation", this is the entire POINT to ZMM.

[Marsha]
I know I can quit this verbal game at any time.

[Arlo]
So do it, Marsha. If you need to think you are
the victim of some "game", if that's the only way
you rationalize yourself out of a dialogue you
can't substantiate, then do it. What do I care?