[MD] e: Reading & Comprehension

Arlo Bensinger ajb102 at psu.edu
Fri May 14 10:22:08 PDT 2010

[Bo]
That ZAMM needs to be revised to some extent to
fit the MOQ is plain, why Pirsig refrained from doing this harmonization ??

[Arlo]
To the contrary, I think the harmony is there,
and the SOL disrupts that... significantly.

[Bo]
I got no sensible answer from DMB what the
Aretê-SOM transition spells in moqish except
something feeble about dynamics being overwhelmed
by "statics"  but its plain that no era was
particularly dynamic ... except the level shift
... and in this case it has to be intellect
breaking off from its social bonds. Let me hear your explanation.

[Arlo]
I can't figure out what you are asking me here,
Bo. I know I am only a small fry to you, so
you'll have to make your questions more clear.

What the Arete-SOM transition spells in moqish?? What does this even mean?

"its plain that no era was particularly
dynamic..." I think evolution within the MOQ's
structure occurs not as a steady uphill line, but
as a series of unexpected leaps that no one sees
coming, followed by a time where stability is
resought. This occurs within levels, in the case
of evolutionary jumps in complexity (say amoebas
to dolphins), and also in the case of an entirely
new "paradigm" emerging (biological patterns from inorganic patterns).

Initially, and this holds true on every single
MOQ level, the "new" level is "simplistic"
compared to what it later becomes. The initial
emergence of microbes over inorganic "matter"
would be seen as the MOQ as the point where a
new, morally dominant, level appears. But then
over time patterns within each level grow in
complexity. Those
morally-superior-to-inorganic-patterns microbes would evolve into people.

I would also suggest that, true on every MOQ
level, is the fact that the inital appearance of
what we see now as morally superior patterns did
NOT hold dominance over its foundational level
immediately. Those microbes did not "dominate"
the inorganic world. It was not until much, much
later than more complex biological patterns would be able to make this claim.

Early "microbic" intellectual patterns appeared
among humans long before any claim of  dominion
could be historically claimed. By the time we get
to the Ancient Greeks, the Sophists and
Aristotle, they had evolved into a variety of
complex "species". In the West, because of its
particular history, the SOM-species attained
dominance (this was the central conflict of ZMM).
Pirsig's genius was in looking back and seeing
that there were (are) competing species of
intellectual patterns, and the inculcation in the
West towards SOM was a self-imposed prison, that
other species of intellectual patterns provided a better understanding.

I would go so far to say that the MOQ is
represents inter-level evolution over SOM in the
same way a dolphin represents inter-level
evolution over a flea. Furthermore, the MOQ is
itself an evolution from the earlier patterns of
the Sophists. And I'd venture to guess that (if
humans can refrain from self-annihilation for
long enough) future humans may see even more
complex, more evolved intellectual patterns
following the Sophists-MOQ trajectory.