[MD] the sophists

ARLO J BENSINGER JR ajb102 at psu.edu
Fri May 14 23:51:45 PDT 2010

[Arlo previously]
The intellectual patterns emerging from the Sophists were not SOM. They were
clearly something better. And it is HERE that the SOM infestation of Western
culture began. And it is HERE that Pirsig begins his treatise on correcting
this.

[Marsha]
Maybe what RMP saw emerging from the Sophists was that the Sophists were
Contextualists and Constructivists???

[Arlo]
Gee. He says outright they were (1) not subjectivists and (2) not objectivists.
Hmm...

But hey... bend every which way you can to make them peddle SOM. I mean, aren't
"contextualists" and "constructivists" just SOM?

[Marsha]
Hmmm, "walled-in jargonized way of looking at things."

[Arlo]
Yep, sounds like the SOL to me...

[Marsha]
They've cut themselves off from the rest of the world and are speaking a jargon
only they can really understand."

[Arlo]
When you're done playing the besieged paranoid victim, let me know...

Since you're playing a little quote game, here's two I think fit you.

"Now he tries to grasp onto something, but there is nothing to grasp onto. His
own momentum carries him forward into the abyss, and when he finally finds
words they are the words of another kind of person; a schoolboy who has
forgotten his lesson, has gotten it wrong, but would like our indulgence
anyway."

"He shouldn’t have cut it off, Phædrus thinks to himself. Were he a real
Truth-seeker and not a propagandist for a particular point of view he would
not. He might learn something."

But let's not let that happen.