[MD] e: Reading & Comprehension

Andre Broersen andrebroersen at gmail.com
Sun May 16 08:28:07 PDT 2010

Platt to Horse:

I agree that the MOQ isn't clear about either the
meaning of art or whether or not we can consider it to be a level of its own.
Certainly much of modern abstract painting art is anti-intellectual in that
rejects portraying everyday "objective" reality.

Andre:
Hi Platt, Horse,
The MOQ may not be clear about the meaning of art but it is very clear about its place and role and, imho it certainly is not anti- intellectual and certainly does not refer to 'everyday objective reality'. (Where the heck did you get these SOMist terms from? You sound like Bodvar!) Rather it is like ZEN. It is a guide and reminder for our intellectual way of experiencing to not be bogged down in logic, rationality and/or any static 'rules' of manipulation we are so used to. It refers to the open space of the ZEN circle.

Platt:
Given the "anti" nature of higher levels toward lower, this would put art a level above the intellectual level. But "art" itself is such an abstract term that it's meaning varies all
of the lot, like "justice" and "freedom."

Andre:
Here the 'real' Platt comes to the fore again. The MOQ has no 'anti' relationship with its parent. As Pirsig says in LILA, it doesn't mean that the children should kill their parents.It's responsibility is to keep it in check ( for want of a better term) Art, the way the MOQ uses it, refers to the way you do the dishes, clean your garbage, treat your neighbour, treat your spouse, you motorcycle, the way you put together the rotissary.
Justice and freedom are not variable either Platt. This is where your politics obstruct your MOQ experience. They are very clear and have high intellectual value as they (should)apply to all of mankind. (I realize that the USA has not signed the International Rights of the Child. It does not recognize the International War Tribunal in The Hague, and these are just two examples of your way of opportunistic exclusion which you open up by suggesting that '[art's] meaning varies all of the lot'.

Wrong Platt, very wrong.

Mr. Pirsig said about you and Bodvar that your interpretation 'undermines' the essence of the MOQ. Well, this, imho is another instance of it.