[MD] knowledge

Ham Priday hampday1 at verizon.net
Sun May 16 09:15:45 PDT 2010

Dear Marsha --

On May 16, 2010, at 3:28 AM, Ham Priday wrote:

>> Human beings are the "realizers".  Let's give the individual subject
>> some credit.  It is WE, and not things, whose reality experience is
>> intellectualized from Value.

[Marsha]:
> By "realizers" do you mean 'intentionally aware'?  Because it seems
> to me human beings are mostly unaware pattern processors.  Maybe > a
> question is:  Patterns have Lila, but is that the way it must be?

No.  By "realizer" I mean knower, subject or apprehender of awareness.
Unless by "intentional" you mean focusing attention on a particular
phenomenon, I see nothing "intentional" about being aware.  It is the nature
of the self to be aware, just as it is man's nature to be value-sensible.

You've lost me with "human beings are mostly unaware pattern processors."
I'm not sure whether this implies that human beings are largely ignorant of
the things they observe or simply that they ignore them.   Patterns
(phenomena) don't "have" anyone; it's the other way around.  Individuals
create the patterns (intellectual precepts) that constitute their experience
of reality.

Also, under the Reading & Comprehension thread, you said (to John):
> I think that nature is one of the most dynamic static patterns,
> but it's still pattern applied to DQ.

Isn't your qualifying phrase "most dynamic of static" self-contradictory?
How can a pattern be simultaneously both static and dynamic?  You also told
Ian that "'nature' is a static pattern of value, not an absolute."  Since
when does "static" negate "absoluteness"?  This Pirsigian notion of static
vs. dynamic as applied to experiential awareness stretches credibility and
is fraught with problems, in my opinion.

[John on 5/16]:
> I can't imagine anything more dynamic than  nature.

I side with John on this issue.  Moreover, I see no metaphysical
justification for assuming that ultimate reality (the uncreated source of
existence, whether you call it Quality or Essence) is "dynamic" as opposed
to "static".

Essentially speaking,
Ham