[MD] knowledge

Ham Priday hampday1 at verizon.net
Sun May 16 11:43:15 PDT 2010

Marsha explains to Ham:

> One can be aware of perceptions, and one can be
> aware of conceptions.   One can increase awareness
> by intending to pay attention.  One can eat an apple
> without ever noticing the process, or one can be
> VERY aware of the smell, taste, texture, sound,
> color & shape, and/or the memories associated with
> the past apple experiences.  Very aware or very
> conscious, you understand what I mean; I don't want
> to get lost in the vocabulary.

I understand your point now, Marsha.  But experience is what one focuses on
or "attends to".  Otherwise, you're talking about behavior patterns, which
may or may not represent conscious awareness

> Habits have people.  An obvious example: smoking had me
> for a very long time.  The cigarettes were smoked but my
> participation in the experience was often missing.  Well,
> humans are mostly just a flow of habits.  Remember when
> RMP wrote about the man having a heart attack and
> suddenly became newly aware?

That's a euphemistic way of justifying uncontrolled behavior.  The fact that
you smoked demonstrated that you wanted to smoke, focused on smoking, and
relinquished control of this habit because of the value it held for you.
Values do drive mankind, and they come in all varieties.  But the act of
smoking is a behavior pattern, not a value pattern.

> Static is not a thing-in-itself, it's a range from very static
> to very dynamic.   I find the static-dynamic attributes
> work very well for the MoQ.

They may work for the MOQ, but not for me.  Static and dynamic have nothing
to do with epistemology (i.e., how we know and what we are aware of).  So
it's really not a metaphysical issue.

> From my point-of-view, I find 'unpatterned experience'
> and 'patterned experience' more accurately reflects
> Quality, but then I'm not a metaphysics.

I consider experience to be "patterned value".  We intellectualize Value
into the differentiated, relational entities that make up our existential
reality.
Experience is a process that changes our worldview over time.  Like any
process, our experience OF Nature is "dynamic" IN nature.

> I hope I haven't discouraged or postponed Matt's reply.

Not to worry, Marsha.  Matt rarely addresses me, unless he has a solid
rejoinder to offer.

Thanks, and have a pleasant week.

--Ham