[MD] the sophists

Ham Priday hampday1 at verizon.net
Mon May 17 14:44:30 PDT 2010

Hi Bo --

> Thanks Ham I really appreciated this.
> ... Now Arlo, DMB (maybe Andre if he understands
> what this means) see who is your ally now.

I'm always pleased when something I say touches a common cord with a
correspondent, whoever it is.  Likewise, it's gratifying to read a statement
that reflects my own position on an issue, whether it's philosophy or
politics.  More acknowledgement of understanding (when merited) and less
condemnation for failing to understand would make these discussions more
productive, in my opinion.

That said, by agreeing with a particular statement I am not lending my
endorsement to its author's overall conception.  We are all dealing here
with what, in my opinion, is an unnecessarily complex reality theory.  I see
you waging a largely semantic battle over a metaphoric hierarchy which
purports to replace diversity with an elaborate scheme of levels and
patterns.  Inasmuch as the Pirsigian language is not well defined, much less
understood, I would encourage you to back away from the MoQ long enough to
present your concept in common terms, rather than struggle to strictly fit
it to the "official paradigm."

As a "nonconformist", I am forced to use this approach, and it has enabled
me to make some points that are fundamental to my own ontology.  There is
much ambiguity today in distinguishing Idealism, for example, from
Rationalism, Empiricism, and Objectivism.  Since people tend to identify
with specific categories, a concept introduced as 'Sophist' may bias the
self-styled 'idealist' to view the idea as empirical, or vice-versa.  To put
it another way, the concept is more important than the words we use to
convey it.

I am still stuggling to get across two basic concepts here.  One is the idea
that experience, perception, and cognizance are all facets of subjective
awareness, whereas value, being, and difference belong to a cosmic order
which lies outside this "mental compartment".  Together, these two
contingencies represent the provisional mode of reality we (as its active
agents) call existence.

The second concept is that existence is a creation in process (i.e,
evolutionary), whereas the primary source is uncreated and immutable.
One of the reasons these concepts have fallen on deaf ears is that Mr.
Pirsig has made a "metaphysics" of existence (SOM) which invalidates the
need for a creator or primary source.  Again, as a valuist, I applaud the
"quality" emphasis of the MoQ, but, as an essentialist, I cannot subscribe
to a worldview in which Quality is posited as the agent of reality.

Of course, this is not your battle, Bo.  Indeed, you may disagree with my
ontology.  Nevertheless, there are points on which we are in accord, and it
is at these intersections that progress may be possible.

Thanks for the kind words, and best wishes,
Ham